Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Death And Birth

For every yin, there's a yang. For every sunset, there's a sunrise. For every Abbott, there's a Costello. And, for every death, there's a birth.

'Tis the season of death for the over-leveraged economy, death for over-investment, death for poor risk management, and death for failed government meddling. As for birth...

It's been a little quiet posting-wise at the Market Rubbernecker for the past week but not very quiet on the home front. As I've mentioned from time to time, my wife and I have been expecting our first baby in early October. The waiting is finally over. After a marathon 63-hour labor (that's not a typo), we finally welcomed our baby daughter into the world. As a contrarian, I take extra pride in the fact that she was born during the worst financial debacle since the Great Depression. That can only portend great things for her future.

With about 8 hours sleep total over the last 8 days, we're all in the process of adjusting to our new schedules. With so little rest I've been wary of sleep-deprivation-induced hallucinogenic trading. I came close to selling all personal and client investments and pouring the proceeds into a self-cleaning diaper venture. Cooler heads prevailed.

With a good night's sleep I plan to be back at full-strength in no time. With our new addition, I can already feel an increase in my level of disgust and anger at the failed interventionist policies of our government and central bank. I already explained to my daughter what her share of the recent bailouts and the national debt is. Her eyes widened for a moment, and then she peed on me (also true). At 2 1/2 days old, she's already more intelligent than our politicians and bankers. If only Bernanke or Paulson had been holding her.

Disclosure: The Rubbernecker is long baby wipes and self-soothing and short sleep.

The Market Rubbernecker is affiliated with Aspera Financial, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Please read the disclaimer on the home page of the Market Rubbernecker site.